Monday, May 1, 2017

"March"

Reading this comic made me really think about what people went through just to get the right to sit and eat at a diner or ride on a bus. As a nation we are far from where we once were but we still aren’t all equal yet. Given the fact that it’s the 21st century and people are still fighting for basic rights is unbelievably sad, disturbing and just unconstitutional. As kids we’re taught that everyone is equal under the eyes of God; despite being an atheist, I still uphold that principle. Our nation was founded on the principles of freedom and equality and if our founding fathers could see us now they’d be ashamed!
This work gave an important look back on a point in history that many don’t want to talk about. The struggles that the people faced are real. Having it told as a first hand account helped emphasize the fact that John Lewis was actually there on the front lines of this fight. I think that all should read this at some point of their lives to understand what everyone fought so hard for.
During the point in the story where Lewis was making his way up the midwest and ended up in Buffalo, kind of touched my heart. Being from Buffalo myself, we pride ourselves in helping our neighbors no matter who they are. Having this be the place where Lewis first experienced what it was like to be equal almost made me cry. I wish that all could feel safe and free in this country and one day I think we’ll get there. This taught me that progress is slow and things don’t happen overnight.
In terms of the illustrations, the high contrast black and white images fit with the tone of the story. The way that the medium was used reminded me of scratchboard, ink wash and ink work. The dramatic lighting and the harshness of the ink emphasized the dramatic parts of the story. I love pen and ink, but my hand is too shaky to do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment